A Durant Mother's Duty 2/5
Mar. 19th, 2018 12:41 pmThis is the second of a series of pieces from the perspective of Lieselotte Durant, Isidor's mother. Harrowheart's companion pieces will be posted on his journal and links to the other written pieces will be placed here.
Harrowheart's perspective: Part 1
Lieselotte's perspective: Part 1
Harrowheart's perspective: Part 2
Harrowheart's perspective: Part 1
Lieselotte's perspective: Part 1
Harrowheart's perspective: Part 2
✣ · ✣ · ✣ · ✣
House Tenemil
Even now I find myself surprised by how quickly news travels. Some things simply don’t change with humans, no matter where we’re from. When Harrowheart told me of his encounter with Lady Tenemil I assumed the Alters must have found our meeting positive to be speaking so openly about it. The question that followed was whether they had told the Tenemils about me to be kind to their neighbouring family, or to brag. Not that it mattered to me, except in knowing what kind of people both families have within them. What did matter to me was that I had begun to establish the Durant reputation. My work could only get harder now.
My suspicions were confirmed the moment Lady Tenemil herself greeted us. Religion is a poignant part of Durant life and it was not difficult to tell that Lady Tenemil was deeply religious. The cross around her neck drew my eye and inwardly I stiffened, but I smiled for her. My husband’s family has had a long and difficult relationship with the Christian Churches. The thought that those difficulties might be relived here was… not appealing. This was not Earth, I reminded myself. When Harrowheart handed me the veil Lady Tenemil offered us I was not surprised. I had worn different veils for many different reasons in my life, for Christian masses, for Greek ceremonies, for my wedding, for funerals… I did not hesitate in accepting it, but Lady Tenemil started to speak and Harrowheart apologised as he took it back and started to put it on himself. I insisted Harrowheart explain at once. He was embarrassed as he told me what Lady Tenemil had said, and I found myself bristling underneath my calm veneer.
This turn of events was not ideal, but how rude of her! Harrowheart was my ambassador. Whether or not he was a being of Lady Tenemil’s taste did not matter, her treatment of him was a reflection on my family. My treatment of him was a reflection on how I regarded my family. Turning to my host I allowed Harrowheart to translate as I explained that he was my representative, and a guest, and as a guest would it not be impolite to ask a guest to do such a thing? Harrowheart tried to smooth things over, to be diplomatic, but this was not something to concede on. It occurred to me afterwards that if he was to be my representative for longer than this visit then we would have to induct him formally. There are certain things a Durant expects of other people, respect is highest on that list.
Eventually my wishes persevered, and the tension that followed was not a very good sign. I had to assert myself again when it came to setting aside the weapons. It seemed to me an ignorant thing to ask Harrowheart to allow them to lock away his weapons and a discourteous thing to try and insist. This was not the first time I have had to deal with people who put on the act of the upper class without having any of the class. Harrowheart seemed far more concerned than I was, but I remained pointedly calm in an attempt to give him something to imitate. It only went downhill from there.
They were surprised by the notion that we worshipped gods. Though they agreed to accept it I couldn’t help but wonder if that would still be the case the first time they saw an embodiment of one. Somehow I think not. During our meeting Harrowheart was graciously frank. From what I understood, they say they own land they do not control, which is not really owning it at all. They have money, but… so do we. Their son, Gardin was… a child. I didn’t have to understand his language to know what his tone and glances for guidance meant. They talked and while I waited for Harrowheart to translate for me I wondered just how many ways Isidor would tear the poor boy apart.
Afterwards Harrowheart informed me of the more childish things Gardin had said which only cemented my suspicions. To say that this was a poor match would be polite. To say it was would be a disaster would be accurate. I admit I was more than a little grateful to hear that Harrowheart felt the same. It came as no surprise then that Harrowheart agreed with me when I suggested that we should look for new acquaintances in Dalaran. Mages might be eccentric or lack the upbringing of an old family, but I was eager to avoid the disaster that had been the Tenemils.
Even now I find myself surprised by how quickly news travels. Some things simply don’t change with humans, no matter where we’re from. When Harrowheart told me of his encounter with Lady Tenemil I assumed the Alters must have found our meeting positive to be speaking so openly about it. The question that followed was whether they had told the Tenemils about me to be kind to their neighbouring family, or to brag. Not that it mattered to me, except in knowing what kind of people both families have within them. What did matter to me was that I had begun to establish the Durant reputation. My work could only get harder now.
My suspicions were confirmed the moment Lady Tenemil herself greeted us. Religion is a poignant part of Durant life and it was not difficult to tell that Lady Tenemil was deeply religious. The cross around her neck drew my eye and inwardly I stiffened, but I smiled for her. My husband’s family has had a long and difficult relationship with the Christian Churches. The thought that those difficulties might be relived here was… not appealing. This was not Earth, I reminded myself. When Harrowheart handed me the veil Lady Tenemil offered us I was not surprised. I had worn different veils for many different reasons in my life, for Christian masses, for Greek ceremonies, for my wedding, for funerals… I did not hesitate in accepting it, but Lady Tenemil started to speak and Harrowheart apologised as he took it back and started to put it on himself. I insisted Harrowheart explain at once. He was embarrassed as he told me what Lady Tenemil had said, and I found myself bristling underneath my calm veneer.
This turn of events was not ideal, but how rude of her! Harrowheart was my ambassador. Whether or not he was a being of Lady Tenemil’s taste did not matter, her treatment of him was a reflection on my family. My treatment of him was a reflection on how I regarded my family. Turning to my host I allowed Harrowheart to translate as I explained that he was my representative, and a guest, and as a guest would it not be impolite to ask a guest to do such a thing? Harrowheart tried to smooth things over, to be diplomatic, but this was not something to concede on. It occurred to me afterwards that if he was to be my representative for longer than this visit then we would have to induct him formally. There are certain things a Durant expects of other people, respect is highest on that list.
Eventually my wishes persevered, and the tension that followed was not a very good sign. I had to assert myself again when it came to setting aside the weapons. It seemed to me an ignorant thing to ask Harrowheart to allow them to lock away his weapons and a discourteous thing to try and insist. This was not the first time I have had to deal with people who put on the act of the upper class without having any of the class. Harrowheart seemed far more concerned than I was, but I remained pointedly calm in an attempt to give him something to imitate. It only went downhill from there.
They were surprised by the notion that we worshipped gods. Though they agreed to accept it I couldn’t help but wonder if that would still be the case the first time they saw an embodiment of one. Somehow I think not. During our meeting Harrowheart was graciously frank. From what I understood, they say they own land they do not control, which is not really owning it at all. They have money, but… so do we. Their son, Gardin was… a child. I didn’t have to understand his language to know what his tone and glances for guidance meant. They talked and while I waited for Harrowheart to translate for me I wondered just how many ways Isidor would tear the poor boy apart.
Afterwards Harrowheart informed me of the more childish things Gardin had said which only cemented my suspicions. To say that this was a poor match would be polite. To say it was would be a disaster would be accurate. I admit I was more than a little grateful to hear that Harrowheart felt the same. It came as no surprise then that Harrowheart agreed with me when I suggested that we should look for new acquaintances in Dalaran. Mages might be eccentric or lack the upbringing of an old family, but I was eager to avoid the disaster that had been the Tenemils.